Learn to program the graphics pipeline with Unity’s Shaderlab for creating unique visual surfaces for game objects.
What you’ll learn:
- Use Unity Shaderlab to create their own shader effects with CG/HLSL.
- Apply their knowledge of simple mathematics to change the visual surface of virtual objects.
- Work with mesh vertices and textures to develop unique rendering effects.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the graphics pipeline and apply it to problem-solving shading issues.
- You should be familiar with the Unity Game Engine.
- You should be able to program in a procedural language such as C#.
This course presents a comprehensive guide to programming with Cg and High-Level Shader Language in Unity’s Shaderlab to create your own visual surface effects for colouring and lighting game objects. It covers the mathematics of light and surfaces and steps you through the recreation of some of the most popular shaders. Many computer graphics concepts will be presented to help you understand the graphics pipeline and provide you with an essential toolkit of rendering knowledge that will have you developing your own transparent, animated and texturised shaders in no time.In this course, Penny teaches all the invaluable skills you will require to program the computer graphics pipeline in Unity from scratch using her internationally acclaimed teaching style and knowledge from over 25 years working with games and graphics. Through detailed descriptions and hands-on workshops examining all you need to know about rendering queues, vector mathematics, graphics buffers, colour theory, 3D meshes, texture mapping, lighting models and much more.
Learn how to program and work with:
- variables and packed arrays,
- meshes, vertices and UVs,
- the mathematics for working with objects in 3D and 2D spaces,
- special effects such as holographic, scrolling textures and surface deformations,
- the variety of graphics buffers used in the rendering pipeline,
- forward and deferred lighting, and
- surface, vertex and fragment shaders written in CG/HLSL.
Contents and Overview
After diving right in and creating your very first shader from scratch we will begin the lessons by examining how 3D models are structured and how that is used within shader code to colour and display the surface in computer graphics. You’ll discover all the properties of a shader and how they can be controlled in code and via values fed in through Unity’s Inspector.
Following this, we will examine a variety of lighting models and how lights and surface textures can influence the final look of a render. Included here, an overview of the buffers involved in the rendering queue will be given with practical examines for creating special effects that require more than one draw call. In addition, issues surrounding transparency and blending will be discussed along with many practical hands-on workshops in which students can flex their newfound skills to interrogate the code they write for better understanding.
What students are saying about this course:
- This is the best course I’ve ever taken. It is perfect for me. I worked for 15 years in feature animation. A large part of my career was spent developing shaders for a proprietary renderer. This course has already helped me to bring the value of my previous experience into Unity.
- Best shader course I’ve come across. There are enough and more tutorials on youtube to teach you how to develop your own shaders, but nothing falls into the class of Penny’s tutorials. They are clear and to the point. Really happy about this one.
- Wow! Thank you so much! If there were 10 stars – this course would deserve it. Going from absolutely knowing nothing about Shader writing to have a profound understanding about it…..
Who is the target audience?
- Anyone fascinated by the way computer graphics works.
- Anyone wanting to understand how to write their own shaders.
- Who loves the visual effects that can be achieved through simple code and mathematics.
unity 2d unity 2d animation unity 2d assets unity 2d character controller unity 2d game unity 2d lighting unity 2d movement unity 2d movement script unity 2d platformer unity 3d unity 3d ai unity 3d asset store unity 3d beginner tutorial unity 3d download unity 3d game development unity 3d games unity 3d game tutorial unity 3d models unity 3d system requirements unity 3d tutorials unity game tutorials unity gui unity gui text unity mobile ui unity tutorials unity tutorials 2d unity tutorials 3d unity tutorials c# unity tutorials vr unity ui unity ui assets unity ui builder unity ui design unity ui kit unity ui toolkit unity ui tutorial